Sunday, May 10, 2009

What a Gift!

Today I have to say thank you to my darling husband and my wonderful kids.  I like to receive gifts just like any one does.  Shoes, clothes, you name it and I think it is a good gift, but one that means something is probably the best kind of gift.  

Kayla had given me one hint yesterday, "She said you will use it everyday."  

I thought, Sean has finally decided to upgrade our bed.  We have had our mattress forever and I figured what else would I use everyday.  I convinced myself that was the only thing it could be.  However, as Sean starting singing and the girls started marching me downstairs a bed or pamphlet for a bed was not what I found.  

As I entered the room I saw my two girls and my husband watching me with excitement in their eyes in seeing my reaction.  After I saw the gift, they all said, "Why aren't you crying.  We thought for sure you would cry."
On the ottoman was a blanket that was finally finished and it was hand-made.  It was beautiful and lovely.  Sean said that he started asking around to see who could help him finish a project that was started a little under 6 years ago.   He told me how he had gone to Sister Dahl and asked for some help in completing this project.  However, Sister Dahl sent Sean to Maggie Hoopes.  Maggie loves to quilt and was so kind to volunteer to help him.  Sean loaded up the pieces of the quilt that had been started and headed over to have Maggie put it together.

Last Sunday night Sean took the girls out claiming Kayla had a primary activity at Sister Hoopes to practice a special surprise for Mother's Day and that Mack was going to do some practice driving.  They had me completely fooled, I didn't think anything about it.  I let them head out without any questions.  Sean and the girls went over to Maggie's home and helped work on the quilt to get it finished for Mother's Day today.  They said they worked on it for several hours and were amazed how long making the cuts and fraying it took.  

It was always meant to be a rag quilt that Amy never got to finish.  Luke had given me a big bag of squares that Amy had been working on.  He told me that maybe Lisa and I would like to split them up to make a special quilt.  Lisa and I had gone to Amy and Luke's apartment to pack up Amy's things after her death.  I guess it was his way of saying, "Thank You!"  

Packing up Amy's things was one of the most interesting times of my life.  I walked around a two bedroom apartment, looking for things of value to me.  I was aching for details about her life.  Amy and Luke were well into their fourth year of marriage and they were starving dental school students.  They did not have much in the worldly standards.  But I have to say, the things I did find in that little apartment were magical and the squares were just one of them.  That experience in her apartment will be one that I will treasure until I get to see that beautiful sister of mine again.  This blanket is something I can wrap up in and think about all the wonderful times I have ever had with Amy.   
It was the most thoughtful gift I have ever received.  Good Job Sean and thank you Mack and Kayla for helping to get it done.  I love and appreciate you guys in my life.  It was a perfect day!  I even got a box of JERS.  Everyone did, Sean just can't resist tempting all of us with chocolate.  
To top the day off Sean cooked me a Mother's Day BBQ!


What can I say.  I am a lucky MOTHER and WIFE.  I have been very blessed with a wonderful family.

8 comments:

Joellen said...

Yes Karyn, you are a very lucky wife and mother. Sean, how very thoughtful of you to do something like this for your Karyn, who dearly loves her sister Amy. And how great to get the girls involved in finishing it. I think this is one Mother's Day Karyn will remember always. I dare say that as she wraps up in the quilt, she will not only think of Amy, but she will remember what a loving gesture is was from her family. Good Job Guys. You are tops in my opinion. Love ya.

becky said...

what a sweet gift! as someone else who has lost a loved one...those things are priceless!

good job sean, mackynzie and kayla!

shayla said...

You and your JERS!!!! That was the most thoughtful and lovely gift--those little sentimental surprises are the best!

Michele said...

What an amazing surprise! A true treasure. That must have been so hard to keep a secret. Way to go!

Monica said...

that is Awesome! What a great family you have to finish that blanket for you!

Hazen5 said...

You are one lucky Mom! I can't wait to see the quilt in person. Sean deserves major points for this one. Having Mack, Kayla & Sean finish the quilt makes it that more special!

Sheri said...

I loved this post. I'm so glad that Amy's blanket was finished. It was so fun to see you guys. I'm serious about crashing at your house this summer. We love visiting you guys.

Becky said...

That was an awesome present. I'm sure it took a lot of thinking on Sean's part. Thanks for the nice comments about my Memorial Day post.